Whether you're heading back on set or creating content from home we want to help you be prepared and understand how to exercise safety precautions when sharing, renting, or handling your gear.
The following information provides guidance on how to clean Teradek, SmallHD, and Wooden Camera products that are considered high-touch items. All devices and accessories in shared locations should be frequently cleaned and disinfected.
General Cleaning Tips for Surfaces Including Metal, Rubber, and Plastic:
- Prior to cleaning, power device off and unplug all external power sources (i.e. power cables, batteries) and video/data cables (i.e. HDMI, SDI, Ethernet).
- Cover HDMI, SDI, RP-SMA, Ethernet and USB connections when cleaning the device so the chemical does not penetrate inside the device.
- If you’re not using sanitizing wipes, use a lint-free cloth, such as a screen wipe or a cloth made from microfiber.
- Avoid excessive wiping and submerging of products in disinfectant solutions. This could lead to damage. Wring wet wipes prior to use if they are excessively wet.
- Avoid bleach or abrasive cleaners. Using bleach on plastic parts, OLED, or monitors might cause white stains and malfunction.
- Do not spray liquid disinfectants directly on devices. Instead, spray a lint-free cleaning cloth with it first and gently wipe. Using liquids directly on devices could cause an electric short if it comes into contact with internal electronics.
- Use isopropyl alcohol-based disinfectant solutions containing at least 70% alcohol since it will evaporate faster.
- When using a cleaner for the first time, test it in a small hidden area before cleaning the whole device.
Special Cleaning Tips for Screens:
- Do not use lysol wipes on screens. This could damage your screen and leave a glare-causing film.
- Instead, use a microfiber cloth and screen cleaner, such as Screen Kleen to gently wipe your screen. Be sure to choose a cleaner that does not contain acetone, ethyl alcohol, toluene, ethyl acid, ammonia, or methyl chloride.
- You can also clean your screen with an isopropyl alcohol (70% or less) solution and a soft towel.
Special Cleaning Tips for Leather:
- To clean devices and accessories which are made of leather, makeup removal wipes (such as Biore wipes) are good because skin care products typically contain moisturizers that won’t damage the leather’s natural oils.
- Lysol® Disinfectant Spray
- Lysol® Disinfectant Spray Max Cover Mist
- Lysol® Disinfectant Spray Neutra Air 2-in-1